Health and Management
- Feed - We feed our own high quality mix of alfalfa, oats, barley, wheat, dairy goat pellets, and flax seed. Milking does are fed twice daily. They also receive beet pulp soaked in water occasionally as a special treat, although their latest favorite is bananas -- both the inside and the peel!
- Water - fresh spring water is available at all times. In the cold wather we provide hot water with apple cider vinegar - a favorite!
- Free Choice - At all times they have the following available: Powdered Atlantic kelp, goat specific loose minerals, sodium bicarbonate, and hay.
- Worming - We use herbal wormers for does in milk and chemical wormers for dry animals.
- Hoof trimming - Hooves are trimmed every 4-6 weeks.
- Disease free - All goats have been tested and are disease free.
- Records - Detailed health records are kept on each animal; this record goes with any purchased animals.
- Kidding and kid care - We try to attend all births. Does close to kidding are moved into our clean "birthing center" to wait for the blessed event. They receive excellent prenatal care and both kids and does receive personalized care after delivery. They remain in the birthing area for several days, then are slowly introduced back into the herd.